Go behind the scenes with South Africa’s most innovative entrepreneurs with The Naked Economy on CliffCentral.
All coffee shops are more or less the same, right? Well… maybe not.
Discover the story of a business producing quality as a direct result of the way it treats its staff. In this first episode, we explore whether The Whippet meets the criteria to become part of the Naked Economy.
The Naked Economy — a new podcast series on CliffCentral.Com – takes you behind the scenes at South African companies that are doing things differently and taking new approaches to business that ensure everybody wins. New episodes air on CliffCentral.com at 10:00 on Thursdays!
Hosted by tech entrepreneur Ernest North, and Shane Durrant, wacky creative and hard rocking lead singer of Desmond and the Tutus, The Naked Economy tells the stories of the people changing the world — from the visionary entrepreneur to the kitchen staff to the engineer who knows the deepest secrets of how companies really work.
“It inspires me to hear stories of people challenging the norm, and to see how it changes not only their own lives but also those of the people they interact with,” Ernest North explains.
This series has also opened North’s eyes to two big questions that he believes are relevant for many people:
1. How you work: we all want to be doing something meaningful, and it takes a deliberate change to see your job/the company you build as more than an opportunity to make profit, but rather something that balances profit with sincere purpose – the impact you are making on real people’s lives.
2. How you buy: supporting companies that are consistent in how their values underpin everything they do, and do so in ways that simultaneously improve the lives of employees, customers and the broader community, means you improve their chance of success and you help contribute towards a new generation of business doing good.
“I’m so inspired by stories that show South Africans who are sincere about making a positive impact.”
The featured companies think about the big picture of their role in society, and use technology and other ways of improving processes so that everybody wins. The Naked Economy is about people who will inspire you to think differently about how you work and how you buy.
Visit CliffCentral.Com to listen to the earlier episodes:
Episode 1: Discover the story of The Whippet, a trendy eatery in Linden, which credits its massive success to the way it treats it staff.
Episode 2: Learn about Vuleka, an app that facilitates bulk purchases of goods sold by township retailers, and its founder’s mission to uplift the community.
Episode 3: Host Ernest North tells his own story of learning why there is usually so little love for insurance companies, and shares his journey of discovering how this could be so much different.
- All podcasts are available for download:
- Google Podcasts: http://bit.ly/2DDtdfm
- Apple Podcasts: https://apple.co/2sQio3q