14 incredible Capetonian restaurants to add to your bucket list!
Western Cape, South Africa – The people have spoken – South Africa’s favourite eateries in the Western Cape were just announced at the 2019 Eat Out Mercedes-Benz Best Everyday Eateries in Cape Town on Wednesday 25 September.
These great restaurants were voted for by the public and vetted by Eat Out professional critics. Public ratings for restaurants in each category, taken from reviews on the Eat Out app and website (eatout.co.za), were tallied with scores from Eat Out in a 50-50 balance.
Not only is a review a vote for a favourite restaurant, but it also helps feed a hungry child: Eat Out pledges a meal through Rise Against Hunger for every review it receives. To date, Eat Out has helped feed over 13 500 children.
The public’s favourite eateries in Gauteng and KwaZulu-Natal were celebrated at an event in Sandton, Johannesburg, on Tuesday 17 September.
“We love the fact that these winning restaurants are determined by the people who eat there and review them the most,” says Adelle Horler, Eat Out’s editor in chief. “A lot of glory goes to fine dining establishments, but we also need to celebrate the everyday eateries that keep us coming back again and again, for favourite dishes prepared just the way we like them. By celebrating these eateries, we share the neighbourhood gems you may not even know about yet.”
This is the fifth year that Eat Out, together with Mercedes-Benz, has motivated the public to help select and applaud South Africa’s favourite everyday restaurants via the star rating system on the Eat Out app and website.
Presented by Zola Nene, Eat Out’s ‘Foodie at Large’, the 2019 Eat Out Mercedes-Benz Best Everyday Eateries winners and highly commended restaurants in the Western Cape are:
Durbanville Hills Best Bistro
- Winner – The Shop Restaurant, Three Anchor Bay
- Highly commended – Groot Phesantekraal Restaurant, Durbanville
Best Coffee Shop
- Winner – Pajamas and Jam Eatery, Strand (winner of this award for the second consecutive year)
- Highly commended – Boston Coffee, Bellville (high commended in this category for the second consecutive year)
Hellmann’s Best Burger Eatery
- Winner – De Vrije Burger, Stellenbosch
- Highly commended – Gibson’s Gourmet Burgers and Ribs, V&A Waterfront
Tramontina Best Steakhouse
- Winner – The Fat Butcher, Stellenbosch
- Highly commended – Rare Grill, Kenilworth (winner of this category in 2018)
Best Tapas Eatery
- Winner – ChiCha Wine and Tapas Bar, Sea Point
Best Asian-Inspired Eatery
- Winner – Tjing Tjing Torii, Cape Town CBD
- Highly commended – Bao Down Restaurant, Oranjezicht
Best Italian-Inspired Eatery
- Winner – Scarpetta, Woodstock
Best Country-Style Eatery
- Winner – Karoo Art Hotel Restaurant, Barrydale (highly commended in this category in 2018)
Best Indian-Inspired Eatery
- Winner – The Indian Chapter with Prim Reddy, Bloubergstrand (winner in this category for the fourth consecutive year)
The qualifying restaurants were those that received the highest average star ratings between 1 October 2018 and 31 July 2019, followed by the critics’ review period in August 2019 for those qualifying restaurants that received the highest average star rating but didn’t have a critic’s review for the period. Final scores were based on a 50-50 composite rating determined by both the public and the critics.
Says Selvin Govender, Marketing Director of Mercedes-Benz South Africa Cars: “South Africans have spoken yet again, placing their votes behind their favourite local eateries. It takes attention to detail, a dedicated team and hard work to run a successful restaurant with delicious food, and we congratulate the winning restaurants for winning over the hearts and votes of those who matter the most to them – their patrons.”