This innovative online resource offers free listings to all qualified mental health professionals, organisations, and service providers.
South Africa – TherapyRoute.com, a proudly South African online platform, empowers visitors to find psychologists and other mental health service professionals and providers like social workers, family therapists, counselling services, and community clinics quickly.
This innovative clinician run directory and mental health resource offers free listings to all qualified mental health professionals, organisations, and service providers.
Today, an increasing number of people turn to the internet to find psychologists and other mental health services. Apart from convenience, this frequently helps people overcome any embarrassment they feel by allowing them to learn more about a professional, or service, before making the call.
South Africa continues to struggle with the legacy of apartheid, and mental health services are no exception. It can be challenging to locate a professional who shares your cultural background or language. Similarly, fears of being misunderstood and unfairly discriminated against often act as barriers to entry.
TherapyRoute.com includes features that help address such challenges.
- Easy to use search. Nearby providers appear automatically
- Filter results by identity (Black, LGBT+, Nonbinary, Female…), language (isiZulu, Afrikaans…), issue (depressions, anxiety, relationships…), and more
- Find online clinicians when no nearby results are found
- Thousands of qualified clinicians and providers to choose from
The following core values guide the direction of the platform.
1. Improve access to mental services
TherapyRoute.com improves access to services by innovating tools to empower visitors to find the help they need.
Thanks to a team of volunteers, the database includes many verified community clinics and hospitals. The intention is to link anyone in search of therapy or help, be they rich or poor, with a service that meets their need and means.
Many of the low/no fee listings are included in the following city-specific ‘How to find a therapist’ guides.
- How to find a therapist in Cape Town
- How to find a therapist in Durban
- How to find a therapist in Johannesburg
- How to find a therapist in Pretoria
2. Promote awareness of mental health and talk therapy
TherapyRoute.com equips professionals to publish mental health and therapy-related writing online. The sites growing library of excellent articles promotes awareness of the value of talk therapies that are proven to be effective, relational, and which respect human complexity.
3. Facilitate professional and service visibility
TherapyRoute.com enables qualified mental-health professionals to create a website and represent the services they provide.
The platform is open to all qualified mental health professionals, clinics, counselling centres, rehabilitation programs, and group practices. Private practice and community services are welcome.