The winners of the World Travel Awards in Africa have been named, and we’ve lined up all the South African winners for you…
The World Travel Awards™ was established in 1993 to acknowledge, reward and celebrate excellence across all key sectors of the travel tourism & hospitality industry. Today, the World Travel Awards™ brand is recognised globally as the ultimate hallmark of quality, with winners setting the benchmark to which all others aspire.
In 2016, World Travel Awards™ celebrated its 23rd anniversary year. The annual programme is renowned as the most prestigious and comprehensive in the global industry.
Each year World Travel Awards™ covers the globe with a series of regional gala ceremonies staged to recognise and celebrate individual and collective successes within each geographical region.
South Africa performed well in the awards, with South African companies and properties winning titles like Africa’s Leading Airport, Africa’s Leading Resort and more.
So who were the winners?
OR Tambo International Airport won the award for Africa’s Leading Airport. Meanwhile, the Saxon Hotel, Villas and Spa won the award for Africa’s Leading Boutique Hotel.
The award for Africa’s leading online travel agency went to Travelstart.co.za. Africa’s Leading Luxury Train is The Blue Train, according to the awards.
Here are other South African winners and their titles:
- Africa’s Leading Conference Hotel – Radisson Blu Hotel Waterfront
- Africa’s Leading City Hotel – Pepperclub Hotel & Spa
- Africa’s Leading Hotel Suite -Nelson Mandela Platinum Suite @ Saxon Hotel, Villas and Spa
- Africa’s Leading Inflight Magazine-Sawubona (South African Airways)
- Africa’s Leading Meetings & Conference Centre – Durban International Convention Centre
- Africa’s Leading Private Game Reserve – Shambala Private Reserve
- Africa’s Leading Resort – Sun City Resort
- Africa’s Leading Sports Resort – Legend Golf & Safari Resort
See the full list of winners in Africa here.