A little goes a long way with uberCOMMUNITY!!!
Durban, South Africa – This week, heavy rainfall caused massive flooding which rampaged throughout Durban, destroying almost anything in sight.
Updated sources report that up to 51 people have been killed in flooding and landslides following heavy rain across the Durban metro area. Many of those who were killed were in houses that collapsed on Ellen Rd in the Malvern area after the landslides.
On Friday, 26 April 2019, Uber will be reintroducing uberCOMMUNITY, calling all local citizens to band together to help those affected by the Durban flooding.
How to help:
- Open the App on Friday 26 April 2019, between 12 pm – 3 pm
- Click on the UberCOMMUNITY banner on your screen
- Set your location as per usual
- Request your UberCOMMUNITY vehicle (no need to enter a destination)
When the driver arrives – please meet him or her at your pick up point with your donations
The driver will then deliver them directly to #CountryDuty depots across Durban. Items received will be sorted, packaged and distributed to those in need.
There will be no costs involved!
Many homes have been completely washed away, leaving locals homeless, losing everything they owned. Uber is encouraging all locals to donate items such as general toiletries, clothing, baby products, sanitary pads and non-perishable food items. Every donation, regardless of the size, will make a huge difference to those affected.
If riders are unable to request an UberCOMMUNITY vehicle on the day, they may drop off the much-needed items at the following areas:
- Mangosuthu University of Technology at 511 Mangosuthu Highway, Umlazi
- Durban City Hall on Anton Lembede St, Durban Central
- Pharmacy at Spar Merrivale, 13 Zeedeeberg Rd, Merrivale, Howick.
Please note, for ease of collection, uberCOMMUNITY is collecting from areas closest to Howick, Umlazi and Durban central.
The finer details:
- To facilitate the collection and distribution of all donations, Uber has partnered with #CountryDuty
- The donation drive will run between noon -3 pm on Friday, 26 April 2019. Requests must be placed within those hours.
- All donations must be bagged or boxed for drivers to accept your donation. If possible, please mark clearly what you are donating!
- Please keep in mind that driver-partners can’t leave vehicles unattended, so we ask that you bring your items out to meet your driver when they arrive.
- #UberCOMMUNITY will be in high demand so please be patient!
- The donations will be going to those in need in Durban.
- Successful redemption of this offer is subject to the availability of Uber driver-partners. Access to and use of the Uber app will be subject to the standard terms and conditions applicable to all riders who use the platform.
To request a ride, users must download the free application for Android or register for Uber at www.uber.com/go. For questions visit www.uber.com