The 10th of October is World Mental Health Day so we compiled a list of why self-care is so important to your mental health.
Self-care is the practice of loving yourself. This can be done in a variety of ways, all of which have massive benefits for your personal mental health.
World Mental Health Day was instated to help raise awareness for mental health and mental illness. It is a global issue that affects people from every demographic. We decided to compile a list of things you can action today that will benefit your overall wellness.
Self-care helps reduce stress, which if left unchecked can lead to all kinds of problems. Some stress is good for the body and mind but excessive amounts can lead to an emotional meltdown or full-blown burnout.
This is our list of good things to do to promote good mental health and easy self-care steps to action today.
- First and foremost, we are hounded by negative news on a daily basis so obviously, the first stop of your daily social media browsing should be Good Things Guy, we promote Good News on a daily basis and try to fill your feed with positive stories that are uplifting and enjoyable.
- Instead of pointing out your faults, remind yourself on a daily basis how awesome you are! Our challenge to you today is to find one good thing about yourself! And then do that every day until it becomes a habit.
- Do a little bit of exercise, even if it is on the couch! Have you heard of couch potato yoga??? We have, here is a link to help you out. Or if you want to do full-blown yoga this site has the best at home videos that are targeted to all kinds of issues, from anxiety to bad knees.
- Look at your never-ending to-do list and commit to doing one of the things on it that have been there far longer than it should. Then put that list away and relax for a few minutes. Commit yourself to one item a day instead of trying to do everything on one day.
- Being an adult doesn’t mean that all the fun goes out the window. Our challenge to you today is to play a game! Whether it be a tickle fight or pillow fight with a loved one or a board game that challenges your mind, put some time aside and embrace your inner child.
- Eat the damn snack! If you are craving a burger, treat yourself to that burger, you don’t need a reason, just spoil yourself.
- Declutter a space that makes you feel stressed. Just do it, you may find things you forgot you had and can develop a new appreciation for or you could find things that a charity could really need.
- Volunteer your time. Helping others can give a serious boost to your own wellbeing as well. It is a win-win for both parties.
- Unfollow negative family and friends from social media. “Ain’t nobody got time fo’ dat!”
- Take in nature. Go for a walk, sit quietly on the beach or listen to the rain falling on your rooftop. It is as easy as that.
- Dance your face off! Busy cleaning the house? Make it fun and dance dance dance baby! Proceed with caution when ironing though, we can’t be held accountable for household oopsies.
- Take a long relaxing bath. Light a candle, sit back and just chill.
- Massage your own feet. Before bed is the best time too because it is so relaxing.
- Add some healthy alternatives to your diet.
- Embrace nap time. It isn’t only for the kiddies.
- Buy yourself something special. It doesn’t have to cost the world. Just something small that means something to you.
- Ask someone for help. Put your pride aside and ask someone else to help, even if you feel fully capable.
- Hugs always win. Even self-hugs.
- Face mask. All you need is a little bit of honey and bicarbonate soda. It acts as a mask and a facial scrub #glowing!
- Buy more plants and fill your home with them. They increase your mood and look beautiful in your home (or office)
There are a million things you can do every day that will help boost your mood. What are some of your best self-care tips? Share them in the comments section, they could help someone else out.