Each year, we reflect on all the quotes we shared in the Good Things Guy newsletter that helped inspire the team and all our readers; these are the 52 quotes that helped us in 2023 and on to this exciting new year!
South Africa (05 January 2024) – When needing a little inspiration we often turn to the greatest thinkers for help. Whether it be poems, literature or even musicians; their quotes about life, love and success continue to inspire this year.
There are people alive today and many who are not, that have said truly profound things that have the power to shift our mindset. At the start of each year, as part of a self-care routine, a diary is purchased and filled with all the good things happening in the year.
These good things include loved ones’ birthdays, public holidays, holiday plans, important dates and anniversaries, and inspiring quotes.
We make a selection of quotes and at random, add them to the diary on various days. Scattering them out means you get inspiring surprises throughout the year.
You can be having a terrible day, open your diary to add a meeting you have been dreading and stumble onto a quote that you penned in when you were feeling hopeful and positive about the year. These nuggets of goodness have helped on many occasions.
Quotes play a huge role in the running of things at Good Things Guy. Every week we try to find a quote that embodies the mood of our stories. We place these quotes in our weekly newsletter which goes out every Friday. You can sign up by clicking on the home page and scrolling past our newest stories. The newsletter sign-up bar is bright yellow or find the link here.
The quotes that inspired us all:
- You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy local and that’s kind of the same. – Anonymous
- Supporting another person’s success won’t ever damper yours. – Anonymous
- “You can’t touch love, but you can feel the sweetness that it pours into everything.” – Anne Sullivan Macy
- “There is little success where there is little laughter.” – Andrew Carnegie
- The secret of happiness is freedom, the secret of freedom is courage. – Carrie Jones
- “No one is useless in this world who lightens the burdens of another.” ― Charles Dickens
- “When the winds of change blow, some people build walls and others build windmills.” —Chinese proverb
- “Breathe deeply, until sweet air extinguishes the burn of fear in your lungs and every breath is a beautiful refusal to become anything less than infinite.” – D. Antoinette Foy
- “Hope is being able to see that there is light despite all of the darkness.” – Desmond Tutu
- “The universe buries strange jewels deep within us all, and then stands back to see if we can find them.” ― Elizabeth Gilbert
- “Forever is composed of nows.” ― Emily Dickinson
- “I attribute my success to this: I never gave or took any excuse.” — Florence Nightingale
- “Winning means being unafraid to lose.” – Fran Tarkenton
- “When you see a roadblock or challenge as an opportunity, it is amazing how you are already halfway there.” – Frances Hesselbein
- “It is never too late to be what you might have been.” – George Eliot
- “The greatest healing therapy is friendship and love” – Hubert H. Humphrey
- “There is a fire against us. And in the end, the fire could burn us, or ignite us into an unstoppable force.” ― Israh Azizi, The Cavalier
- “Limitations live only in our minds. But if we use our imaginations, our possibilities become limitless.” – Jamie Paolinetti
- “The only one who can tell you ‘you can’t win’ is you and you don’t have to listen.” – Jessica Ennis-Hill
- “Give whatever you are doing and whoever you are with the gift of your attention.” – Jim Rohn
- “There is no exercise better for the heart than reaching down and lifting people up.” – John Holmes.
- “Nothing ever becomes real till it is experienced.” – John Keats
- “As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them.” – John Fitzgerald Kennedy
- “I hope you realize that every day is a fresh start for you. That every sunrise is a new chapter in your life waiting to be written.” – Juansen Dizon
- “Do what you love, and you will find the way to get it out to the world.” – Judy Collins
- “Warm hearts with willing hands makes a happy humanity.” ― Lailah Gifty Akita
- “Music is the shorthand of emotion.” – Leo Tolstoy
- “In a gentle way, you can shake the world.” – Mahatma Gandhi
- “The human race has one really effective weapon, and that is laughter.” – Mark Twain
- “There is no power for change greater than a community discovering what it cares about.” – Margaret J. Wheatley
- “Life is like a book that never ends. Chapters close, but not the book itself.” – Marianne Williamson
- “I think a hero is really any person intent on making this a better place for all people.” – Maya Angelou
- “He who helps you in your worst moment well deserves to be your best hero!” ― Mehmet Murat ildan
- I alone cannot change the world, but I can cast a stone across the waters to create many ripples. – Mother Teresa
- “Most great people have attained their greatest success just one step beyond their greatest failure.” – Napoleon Hill
- “We all belong to South Africa, and South Africa belongs to us all.” – Oliver Tambo
- “We have to make the choice—every single day—to exemplify the truth, the respect, and the grace that we wish for this world.” – Oprah Winfrey
- “Youth has no age.” – Pablo Picasso
- “I have learned over the years that when one’s mind is made up, this diminishes fear; knowing what must be done does away with fear.” – Rosa Parks
- “Christmas is most truly Christmas when we celebrate it by giving the light of love to those who need it most.” – Ruth Carter Stapleton
- “Life doesn’t get easier or more forgiving, we get stronger and more resilient.” – Steve Maraboli
- “I am not a product of my circumstances. I am a product of my decisions.” – Stephen Covey
- “A great life is born in the soul, grown in the mind, and lived from the heart.” – Suzanne Zoglio
- “Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” – Thomas Edison
- “Of all things you wear, your expression is the most important.” – Unknown
- “Small steps in the right direction can turn out to be the biggest steps of your life.” – Unknown
- “Winning isn’t everything, but wanting to win is.” – Vince Lombardi
- “For a gallant spirit there can never be defeat.” – Wallis Simpson
- “Do anything, but let it produce joy.” ― Walt Whitman
- “Keep your face always toward the sunshine—and shadows will fall behind you.” – Walt Whitman
- “A warm smile is the universal language of kindness.” – William Arthur Ward
- “Success is not final; failure is not fatal: It is the courage to continue that counts.” — Winston S. Churchill
What is your favourite quote? Let us know in the comment section and it may end up in our next newsletter.