The Justice Desk has been working to support children in Nyanga and Khayelitsha by providing them with sanitary items, food parcels, toys, clothes and water.
Cape Town, South Africa (06 May 2020) – The Justice Desk is a human rights non-profit organisation working in South Africa, Zambia and Zimbabwe. The organisation was launched in 2013 as a way to promote everyday activism.
They aim to defend human rights and empower society to create an equal world. They run over 20 projects but focus on four aspects, education, training, bridging and advocacy. The Justice Desk works alongside civil society, NGOs, businesses, and governments to challenge and eliminate the root causes of injustice.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the organisation has slightly altered the way they work with communities. In aid of children within their network, the organisation has been making donations that are catered to the children’s needs.
Donations that are going out are sanitary items, food parcels, ECD level toys, children’s clothes and water.
The Justice Desk has been visiting Nyanga and Khayelitsha.
The organisation has teamed up with Den Anker, a restaurant at the V&A Waterfront. They are running a soup kitchen which is feeding children who are missing out on school meals. They have been able to make 2000 meals and 2000 food parcels for the communities they support.
“During Covid-19, we are working hard to help those most affected by Covid-19 in South Africa, Zambia & Zimbabwe.
But in order to do this, we need your help!
Our efforts include:
– Feeding thousands of people per week (warm meals and food packages)
– Distributing reusable material masks
– Distributing soaps and sanitisers
– Distributing menstrual hygiene products and sanipads for girls without access
– Educating vulnerable communities about Covid-19 and how they can protect themselves
– Distributing vital information to women and children who may be locked inside with their abusers during lockdowns, on how to reach out for help.
– Advocating for the human rights of all people, with special efforts being made to advocate for those most impacted by Covid-19: the poor.
In order to continue this vitally important work, we need your help!
Make a donation and join an incredible family of Human Rights defenders, from across the globe, who support and believe in our work!”
If you would like to support The Justice Desk, you can do so via their crowdfund on GivenGain here.