There are hundreds of specials and discounts available to pensioners which are geared to make things more affordable, these are some of the deals to look out for in 2023.
South Africa (09 January 2023) – Being a pensioner is getting tougher every day. The cost of living is increasing which makes pensions (which don’t increase) harder to live on. We shared a helpful list in 2021 that had all the discounts and deals on offer, but it needed a serious update!
This new list has been checked and double-checked, to make sure all the information is accurate. We have linked to each of the relevant websites where you can read the terms and conditions or sign up for the discounts. This way, you know exactly what to expect next time you ask for a discount.
One of the things we learned in making this list, is that many places will have a discount or deal, even if it isn’t advertised. So if you want to know if a place has a pensioners discount, ask the manager. They will be able to assist.
These are the pensioner discounts and deals for 2023.
- Property Rates – As a pensioner, you qualify for a rebate on your property rates of between 40% and 100%. Each municipality will have different requirements so be sure to check online or call your local municipality. Most will need you to fill in a form to start the process.
- SABC TV licence “Concessionary Licence” – If you are over 70 years of age, you can apply for a concessionary licence.
One must apply to the SABC for such licence and submit the prescribed documentation with one’s application. Those who qualify are: a receiver of a Social Grant from the State, on the basis of being an aged or disabled person or a war veteran, as defined in the Social Assistance Act of 1992; a person of 70 years or older, as from the beginning of the first licence year after turning 70, subject to certain provisions.
- Hertz – If you are 55 years or older, a hire car from Hertz’s ‘A group’ fleet can be as little as R200 per day. Rates include theft and damage waivers, airport surcharge, VAT, tourism levy and 200 kilometres free per day.
- Sanparks – Enjoy the delights of any of the many parks under the Sanparks umbrella at a discounted tariff, if you are 60 years or older. This applies only to certain months of the year and excludes Fridays, Saturdays and long weekends. The discounts are for camping or staying in accommodation and can be up to 40% off the normal rate.
- Cape Nature -If you are 60 years or older with a valid SA ID, you qualify for Cape Nature’s senior citizen discount of 30% off all self-catering and camping facilities. You just need to call in to secure the 30% on your booking. It can be used Monday to Sunday except for long weekends (they have opted to approve the discount on Easter Weekend only) and the December school holidays.
- Kirstenbosch Gardens – Over 60s get free entry on Tuesdays, however, this doesn’t apply to public holidays.
- City Sightseeing Buses – There are several discounted ticket options for pensioners in Cape Town and Johannesburg.
- Ster-Kinekor – Over 60s get 22% off of movies every day when signed up to the SK Club.
- Nu Metro – Again, over 60s can enjoy up to 50% discount on movies, providing you bring along ID. This is not applicable to Wednesdays as on this day, everyone qualifies for a special rate.
- Game – Over 60s can get a 10% discount, any day of the week, on purchases up to the cost of R3,000.00
- Makro – Over 60s get 10% off of general purchases and 5% off food purchases when using a pensioners card. You also get priority entry to the store and checkout.
- Metrorail – Metrorail offers a 40% discount on train fares for senior citizens with a valid South African ID and who are 60 years and older.
- Clicks – If you are 60 years or older and a ClubCard member, you can opt for Clicks’ ClubCard Seniors programme and earn Double Points on the second Wednesday of the month on their exclusive Double Points Days. On these days, you get one additional ClubCard Point for every Point you earn.
- Dischem – The 60 Plus Programme gives pensioners double points on all purchases made on a Wednesday. They offer a free blood pressure test each month if you fill your chronic medication scripts at a Dischem Pharmacy, salon special from Monday to Thursday and invites to the 60+ Pensioners Teas.
- Intercape – 15% discount to all senior citizens over 60 years.
- AA (Automobile Association) – Over 60s get a substantial discount for an annual AA Membership.
- Torga Optical – The Pensioners Promotion has three options for pensioners 60 and above, which are redeemable country-wide.
- Tiger Wheel and Tyre – In-store discounts on tyres / selected products and services for customers over 60 years old every Tuesday!
- Builders Warehouse offer a 10% discount on Wednesday, one needs to apply for their pension card.
Which deals, specials and discounts have we missed? Let us know in the comment section.