Over 1500 Flamingo babies have been rescued after a water crisis has left them without any support. The Kimberly SPCA has taken them in and needs help
Kimberly, South Africa – Due to low water resources, the Kimberly SPCA had to rescue over 1500 Flamingo abandoned chicks from Kamfers Dam in Kimberley. It took them hours to collect all the chicks but they managed to get them safely to a facility where they can be better cared for.
Some of the chicks were rescued as eggs and are now hatching into the great big world.
The SPCA set up a feeding plan as they need all the help they can get in feeding the flamingo chicks. They ask that volunteers assist by signing up to various feeding times. Volunteers would not only help save the lives of these beautiful birds but get a once in a lifetime opportunity to work with flamingoes.
The SPCA is in desperate need of help including donations. They are not equipped to deal with a rescue of this size. You can see how to help them out below. Even if you are not based in Kimberly, you can help save all these flamingo chicks.
How you can help:
- Towels & carpets
- Feather dusters
- Nestum Baby Cereal No.1
- Hard-boiled Eggs
- Hand sanitizer
If you can donate financially, the SPCA has provided their banking details. They will use the funds to purchase food to feed the chicks.
Account Nr: 040 057 607
Branch Code: 050 002
Ref: Flamingo rescue
Anyone based in Kimberly that is able to assist with feeding can message Lizelle Cloete: 082 295 9892
“We still need help in taking care of & feeding the chicks.”
As the feeding needs to be done to save the chicks, the SPCA has set up strict guidelines for volunteers who wish to help out.
Please follow these rules before helping with the feeding project.
- Please REPORT to the person in charge on arrival. This person will allocate a task for you to do.
- DISINFECT your hands before handling chicks. MAXIMUM HYGIENE is required to prevent infecting chicks!
- Only children 13 YEARS AND OLDER will be able to assist under adult supervision.
- We prefer helpers with EXPERIENCE if you do not have experience you must first be briefed.
- NO OTHER PETS must be brought to the premises.
- No cigarettes or alcohol to be used, please.
- Please leave your name and contact details when you leave so that we can thank all helpers.
- Please strictly adhere to all instructions issued by supervisors.
For those wanting to help but are not in Kimberly, below is a list of organisations that are working to help out the flamingoes. Many will be relocated to these organisations to help ease the load on the SPCA.
- Johannesburg Wildlife Veterinary Hospital – here.
- Wildheart Wildlife Foundation – here.
- South African Wildlife Rehabilitation Centre – here.
- South African Foundation for the Conservation of Coastal Birds – here.
We will continue to update the list above as organisations come forward for assistance.
You can see images from the first community volunteer feeding below. It is so great to see so many people coming together to save the flamingo chicks.