Since we celebrated 22 yesterday, we’ve decided to put together a list of 22 good things that have already happened in South Africa in 2022!
South Africa (23 February 2022) – We’re already 54 days into 2022. Our news feeds, timelines and headlines can often make it look like we’re living in the worst of times, but this is simply not true… so to change our collective perspectives, we’ve decided to look back at the almost two months of the year and find the good things that have already happened!
Yesterday was Twosday – a once-in-a-lifetime date that apparently delivered big energy for connections and restoring the balance. The date – 22.02.2022 – was a palindrome and could be read backwards, forwards, or even upside down, an unbelievable and unique occurrence.
And since we celebrated 22 yesterday, we’ve decided to put together a list of 22 good things that have already happened in South Africa in 2022!
“There is so much good happening now. We can sometimes get overwhelmed with sadness, but I believe that the way we see the world depends on how we look at it. So what if we changed our perspective?”
Check out the list below:
22. South African Shau Mafuna is finally living his dream after accepting a position with Mercedes AMG High-Performance Powertrains in the F1 division.
21. An orphaned 12-hour-old baby rhino and rescued 1-week-old baby zebra – who are the best of friends – gave us all the feels!!!
20. For the first time since Lockdown started in South Africa, there are more Restaurant Openings than Closures!
19. Dancing “Mad Woman” Jogger and her videos are a little crazy, but she made us all smile!
18. A group of country club members donated R27,000 in winnings to a retiring employee!
17. A group of volunteers helped deliver a New Year “Beach Baby” on Camps Bay.
16. South Africa’s Aidan Murgatroyd is one of the shortlisted student photographers whose work will be exhibited at Somerset House, London.
15. A group of volunteers spent five days working together to save a horse stuck on a disappearing island in the middle of the Vaal River.
14. South African woman went viral for paying teen’s school fees for 10 years!
13. The path to success for Donald Ramphadi has not been a smooth one, but Africa’s number 1 player was crowned as the World’s number 11!
12. The sea turtle rehabilitation team of the Two Oceans Aquarium Education Foundation released 44 rehabilitated sea turtles approximately 30 nautical miles south of Hout Bay.
11. Dreaming big helped Bontle Ndhlovu – a bold young author – publish her first book at just 8 years old!
10. Hollywood heartthrob Channing Tatum selected a South African dancer for the lead role in his Magic Mike live shows.
9. After ten years in the aviation industry, an ex-flight attendant opened the first luxury hotel in a township in South Africa.
8. We laughed at ourselves and the South African version of Simon Leviev who broke his silence about his enemies… well kind of. Glen Biderman-Pam was very angry with Sixty60 and he wanted the world to know.
7. January was a huge month for the Friedman family. Firstly, Mighty Mack celebrated her 1st birthday on the 5th of January 2022. She then celebrated her bone marrow transplant on the 14th of January 2022, from which she quickly recovered, and in early February, she was allowed to go back home with her family.
6. After nearly 4 years and 8 thousand kilometres, the ‘Lions of Lockdown’ have finally reached African soil as they made it to the safety and sanctuary of their forever home.
5. Sazi Bongwe was Head of School at St. John’s College in 2021 and achieved nine distinctions in his final matric exams, with an average of 95.9%… and was accepted to the prestigious Harvard University!
4. Two billion sources have put four South African spots on the world’s top tourist destinations!
3. An update to an abandoned baby rescued by a woman in 2018 who is now thriving warmed our hearts!
2. It was a story that rocked the nation – an 11-year-old girl was kidnapped in broad daylight in November last year – but after two months, the young South African has safely returned home to her family.
1. A heroic JMPD Sergeant rescued two little girls from the ledge of a building.