Advertisement

Khayelitsha mom welcomes healthy quadruplets thanks to Tygerberg Hospital

nursing student unborn daughter

Tygerberg Hospital successfully delivered 4 healthy babies thanks to planning and mommy is very excited to take them home.

 

A Khayelitsha mother welcomed four very healthy babies into the world on Friday. Two boys and two girls were born to the first time mom. Each baby had their own paediatrician in the theatre. Thanks to good planning, the babies were safely delivered and cared for without any hiccups.

The hospital’s spokeswoman Laticia Piennar said in a statement that the little family are all doing very well.

“The mother and her ‘quads’ are in [a] very good condition and are doing extremely well.”

“A caesarean section (c-section) was performed at 29 weeks gestational age – a decision taken in the best interest of the mother and the unborn children,” explained Pienaar.

“Spontaneous quadruplet pregnancies are exceptional with a reported incidence of one in 512 000 to one in 677 000 births.”

“We are extremely proud of our maternal team at Tygerberg Hospital who ensured that this exceptional case is cared for in the most professional manner,”

An anaesthetist, midwife, and obstetrics and gynaecological specialist were also part of the team on Friday. The mother was said to be a little overwhelmed but excited to get her four miracles home once they are ready.

According to Huggies, “the most common form of multiples is twins. Statistically, 90% of all multiple births are made up of twins and the remaining 10% being shared between triplets, quadruplets and more. The most common variety of quadruplets is formed when four separate eggs are fertilised by four separate sperm. There are, however, a range of possibilities when it comes to the different combinations of quadruplets and how they are conceived. Quadruplets may be identical, non-identical or a combination of both.”

It is always fascinating to hear these stories, especially when they have such a happy outcome.


Sources: News24
Have something to add to this story? Share it in the comments or follow GoodThingsGuy on Facebook & Twitter to keep up to date with good news as it happens.
Click the link below to listen to the Good Things Guy Podcast, with Brent Lindeque – South Africa’s very own Good Things Guy. He’s on a mission to change what the world pays attention to and he truly believes that there’s good news all around us. In the Good Things Guy podcast, you’ll meet these everyday heroes & hear their incredible stories:

Facebook Comments

Tyler Vivier
Tyler Leigh Vivier is a writer for Good Things Guy. Her passion is to spread good news across South Africa with a big focus on environmental issues, animal welfare and social upliftment. Outside of Good Things Guy, she is an avid reader and lover of tea.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *