The Drinks Business Magazine annually selects the ‘best of the best‘ in booze, and South Africa did very well at the 2021 Global Sauvignon Blanc Masters.
South Africa (25 January 2022) – Two South African Wines were awarded Gold by The Drinks Business, landing in the top 12 of the best Sauvignon Blanc wines of 2021. The roundup includes wines from New Zealand, Greece, California, and France, to name a few.
The Drinks Business is a magazine that focuses on the world’s alcohol industry. It features news about the industry as well as lifestyle tips and more related to drinks.
The magazine also hosts an annual award ceremony called “Drinks Masters”. You name a type of alcohol, and they probably have a competition for it. They have been running the awards since the 2000s.
The one we are sharing today is the 2021 Global Sauvignon Blanc Masters. Around 200 bottles from around the world were sent in to be judged.
Each wine was judged ‘blind’ over one day in November 2021 at the 28-50 Wine Workshop and Kitchen in Chelsea, United Kingdom. While all using the same grape, the wines used a variety of methods to create their own version, whether that be oaked or unoaked, blended or not.
“In particular, we tasted Sauvignons made using many different fermentation formats, from stainless steel tanks to egg-shaped concrete vessels, barriques and oak casks of varying sizes. We also assessed Sauvignons blended with other grapes, such as Riesling and Semillon, Muscat and Verdelho, and then there were the source areas, which in 2021 included France, New Zealand, the US, South Africa, Chile, Italy, Australia and Greece.” – Patrick Schmitt, The Drinks Business
Two South African wines made it into the winning top 12 with Gold, but they were not the only local wines to earn high praise at the awards. Take a look at all the Proudly South African wines and their wins below.
Gold Sauvignon Blanc
- Durbanville Hills, The Tangram White Blend – Vintage 2018.
- Elgin Vintners, Sauvignon Blanc – Vintage 2021.
- Durbanville Hills Collectors Reserve, The Cape Mist Sauvignon Blanc – Vintage 2019.
- Elgin Vintners, Cloud Haven Sauvignon Blanc – Vintage 2021.
- Nederburg Winemasters, Sauvignon Blanc – Vintage 2021.
- Durbanville Hills, Signature Sauvignon Blanc – Vintage 2021
- Kleine Zalze Wines, Vineyard Selection Sauvignon Blanc – Vintage 2020.
- Kleine Zalze Wines, Family Reserve Sauvignon Blanc – Vintage 2019.
- Klein Constantia, Estate Sauvignon Blanc – Vintage 2020.
- Fish Hoek, Sauvignon Blanc – Vintage 2021.
- Durbanville Hills Collectors Reserve, The Cape Mist Sauvignon Blanc – Vintage 2020.
- De Grendel, Sauvignon Blanc – Vintage 2021.
- Flagstone Free Run, Sauvignon Blanc – Vintage 2020.
- Klein Constantia, Metis Sauvignon Blanc – Vintage 2018.