South African National Parks Week is happening in September, and these are the parks you can visit for free over the week.
South Africa – The inaugural South African National Parks Week took place in 2006 and was aimed at linking the South African national parks system to the global, national movement and to also showcase the best of South Africa’s national parks.
Each year since the SANParks group has opened their doors free of charge to people wanting to see the natural wonders of the world. This year the week is the 8th of September to the 15th of September.
“South African National Parks will be presenting the 14th annual SA National Parks Week from 8 to 15 September 2019. We are proud to once again celebrate this week with our partners, Total South Africa and FNB.
This year SANParks is pleased to announce that it has extended SA National Parks Week to include weekends, heeding the request from South Africans who don’t have time to visit national parks during the week.”
“The week grants free access to most of the 21 national parks for day visitors, especially people from the local communities. Free entry excludes Namaqua National Park and Boulders Penguin Colony and the Table Mountain Cableway in Table Mountain National Park. It should be noted that free access to parks does not include free access to accommodation facilities and other tourist activities.”
These are the parks you can visit over parks week.
- Addo Elephant National Park – Gate quotas will be applicable during the weekends: 700 people free entry per Gate (Main Camp and Matyholweni)
- Agulhas National Park – The Park is an open-access park with no pay points.
- Augrabies Falls National Park
- Bontebok National Park
- Camdeboo National Park
- Garden Route National Park
- Golden Gate Highlands National Park
- Karoo National Park
- Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park – Gate quotas will be applicable during SA National Parks Week: 20 vehicles per Gate, per day.
- Kruger National Park
- Mapungubwe National Park
- Marakele National Park
- Mokala National Park
- Mountain Zebra National Park
- Table Mountain National Park –Free entry excludes Boulders Penguin Colony and the Table Mountain Cableway in Table Mountain National Park.
- Tankwa Karoo National Park –
- West Coast National Park – Dates: 9 to 13 September 2019
- |Ai-|Ais/Richtersveld Transfrontier Park
Will you be visiting any of these parks during park week? Let us know your favourite in the comment section.