SANBS Today is World Blood Donor Day, celebrate by gifting life to someone in need
Photo Credit: SANBS

SANBS is hosting drives across South Africa today and the rest of the month in honour of World Blood Donor Day and Month.


South Africa (14 June 2021) – Happy World Blood Donor Day! The South African National Blood Service (SANBS) is always in need of new donors, so each year, we celebrate National Blood Donor Month in June to help boost donors in the country.

SANBS aims to collect an average of 3000 units of blood every day nationally. Through planned, sustainable blood drives at companies, organisations, and institutions, they can achieve this collection target.

Currently, stock levels are a mixed bag. There is adequate A+, A- and B+ types, but O+ and O- at sufficiently low, and B- are critically low. They desperately need donations from the AB- blood group too!

We often wonder how our blood helps others, and the SANBS created a useful graphic that shows which blood types help each other.

Do you know your blood type? The first time you donate to the SANBS, they will test it for you, and you will get to find out your blood type at your second donation, which can take place 56 days after the first.

Did you know: Less than 5% of blood is used as whole blood (the way you donated it). By separating the other 95% into its components, red blood cells, platelets and plasma, the unit you donated can save up to 3 lives.

SANBS is hosting blood drives all over South Africa. To find one closest to you, you can find out more via their Facebook here.

Sources: SANBS
Don’t ever miss the Good Things. Download the Good Things Guy App now on Apple or Google
Have something to add to this story? Please share it in the comments or follow GoodThingsGuy on Facebook & Twitter to keep up to date with good news as it happens, or share your good news with us by clicking here
Click the link below to listen to the Good Things Guy Podcast with Brent Lindeque – South Africa’s very own Good Things Guy. He’s on a mission to change what the world pays attention to, and he truly believes that there’s good news all around us. In the Good Things Guy podcast, you’ll meet these everyday heroes & hear their incredible stories:
Or watch an episode of Good Things TV below, a show created to offer South Africans balance in a world with what feels like constant bad news. We’re here to remind you that there are still so many good things happening in South Africa & we’ll leave you feeling a little more proudly South African.

Facebook Comments

About the Author

Tyler Leigh Vivier is a writer for Good Things Guy.

Her passion is to spread good news across South Africa with a big focus on environmental issues, animal welfare and social upliftment. Outside of Good Things Guy, she is an avid reader and lover of tea.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *