Gift of the Givers has mobilised emergency teams and donations to Malawi to assist in the horrific aftermath of a cyclone that has destroyed nearly everything.
Malawi, Africa – Gift of the Givers has intervened in Flood Relief in Malawi, Mozambique and Zimbabwe since the onset on 6 March. 6-days of constant rains caused flooding which washed away thousands of hectares of essential crops and infrastructure.
They left South Africa a few days ago and hoped to bring some much-needed relief and aid to those who have lost everything.
They have summarised all their efforts to date along with all the assistance they have received from other companies and organisations. This disaster is very close to home and has affected all our nearest neighbours. Gift of the Givers has made South Africa proud.
If you would like to assist them, you will find how to contribute below.
- Our teams are doing well in Malawi distributing essential supplies to thousands of families in 7 out of 11 affected districts in the south. The Malawi Defence Force has partnered us to reach no go areas.
- God Willing, we aim to deploy water rescue teams, rescue equipment and boats to Zimbabwe. We are awaiting final “release” for some of the personnel from duty.
- Supplies of food, bottled water, blankets and hygiene packs are on standby to assist those trapped and rescued.
- A private company in Zimbabwe offered us six helicopters, two planes, pilots, four boats, twenty ambulances and a commitment to cover all these costs.
- Mozambique is the most challenging; 90% of Beira has been affected with significant destruction of infrastructure, presumed massive loss of life and thousands awaiting rescue in Bizo and surroundings. Beyond these areas the situation is unknown. We have deployed 40 water rescue specialists for this intervention. More personnel are on standby.
- Boats and helicopters are life-saving. The road to Beira has washed away. We are exploring the option of flying our boats on cargo planes to the city to commence rescue.
- By far the most significant challenge is sourcing helicopters, but this is very, very expensive but extremely urgent. We are busy with options.
- Food, drinking water, medical care and shelter are an essential aspect that has to be factored in. Little children and indeed adults haven’t eaten in days.
All financial contributions can be paid to Gift of the Givers: Standard Bank, Account No. 052137228, Branch Code 057525, ref: Floods.