A survey taken by 2000 “adults” asked them to select the exact moment they felt like an adult; the answers are pretty great and say a lot about life.
Global – What is the marker for adulthood? Is it age, experience or something else? Many feel the marker is responsibility when you take responsibility and active steps to guarantee the best possible outcome for all-round stability in life.
In recent years the term “adulting” has been adopted to describe mundane life challenges and responsibilities that plague every human on the planet at some point or another.
According to Urban Dictionary, a user-based slang dictionary, Adulting is defined as,
Adulting (v): to carry out one or more of the duties and responsibilities expected of fully developed individuals (paying off that credit card debt, settling beef without blasting social media, etc.). Exclusively used by those who adult less than 50% of the time.
Example: I was going to buy a sack of weed, but I finally got my oil changed instead. Adulting!
The survey revealed a few typical markers. Take a look at the 20 signs that people most associate with being classed as an adult.
Top 20 Signs Of Being An Adult.
1. Having a budget 55%
2. Buying a house 54%
3. Filing your own taxes 52%
4. Understanding and monitoring your credit score 48%
5. Investing in retirement 46%
6. Doing your own laundry 43%
7. Scheduling regular doctor’s appointments 38%
8. Making a list to take when going to the grocery store 35%
9. Cooking dinner most of Monday through Friday 33%
10. Watching the nightly news 31%
11. Changing the bed sheets regularly 31%
12. Reading the newspaper 29%
13. Hosting dinner parties or gatherings with friends 29%
14. Buying a sensible pair of shoes 27%
15. Making the bed every morning 26%
16. Drinking wine 26%
17. Using coupons 25%
18. Getting excited when staying in on a Saturday night 25%
19. Starting the morning with coffee 23%
20. Taking something out of the freezer to defrost 22%
What was your stand out moment, the moment you realised you were, in fact, an adult? Let us know in the comment section.