Operation Hydrate has distributed about four million litres of water so far and will this weekend add another million litres to this total as a convoy of 20 trucks leaves Johannesburg to deliver drinking water to people in drought-stricken areas.
Speaking on SABC2, Operation Hydrate spokesperson, Yaseen Theba, said a convoy of 20 trucks filled with water bottles would depart from the FNB Stadium in Johannesburg on Friday morning.
The organisation, driven by community volunteers, hosted a water drive with the Nelson Mandela Foundation and Proudly South Africa at the weekend where members of the public and corporate South Africa were invited to drop off sealed 5-litre bottles of drinking water.
“Our collection drive is continuing because people still need drinking water,” Theba said.
Since starting the initiative at the beginning of January, Operation Hydrate has had a snowball effect with scores of people making contributions.
Theba added that some areas had been subject to infrastructural failures because of the drought and asked municipalities in those areas to address these problems with urgency.
“We cannot allow fellow citizens to suffer,” he said.
Theba said the response they had received so far had been overwhelming.
South Africa remains in the grip of its worst drought in at least 23 years, despite the recent rains.
The main focus areas of Operation Hydrate are the Free State and the Eastern Cape.