You tell them, Your Majesty! Age is but a number in Queen Elizabeth’s mind, and at the age of 95, she believes “you are as old as you feel”.
United Kingdom (20 October 2021) – Each year, The Oldie magazine selects their “Oldie of the Year”, and this year, they had their hearts set on acknowledging the Queen. When they wrote to offer her the title, she politely declined.
It is not the first time the royals have been honoured with the title of “Oldie of the Year”. The Queen Mother as well as the Late Prince Phillip both accepted the titles. However, the Queen feels she is not so much an oldie despite what her birth certificate may say.
Her assistant private secretary, Tom Laing-Baker declined the award on her behalf, stating, “Her Majesty believes you are as old as you feel, as such The Queen does not believe she meets the relevant criteria to be able to accept, and hopes you will find a more worthy recipient,”
A worthy recipient was found. Or shall we say, several worthy recipients? The Oldie of the Year Awards 2021 were hosted by Gyles Brandreth and presented by HRH, the Duchess of Cornwall, at the Savoy on the 19th of October 2021. While we love the Queen’s outlook on life, let’s take the trending moment to celebrate the oldies who won.
The oldies awarded at the event include:
- Delia Smith won Truly Scrumptious Oldie of the Year,
- Whispering Bob Harris is the Poptastic Oldie of the Year,
- Barry Humphries accepted the Oldie Wizard from Oz of the Year on behalf of Sir Les Patterson,
- Knitter Margaret Seaman is the Champion Knitter Oldie of the Year,
- Roger McGough is the Oldie People’s Poet of the Year,
- Dr and Dr Datta are the Oldie NHS Angels of the Year, and
- Sir Geoff Hurst is the Oldie Golden Boot of the Year.
Who is the oldie of your year?