Since we have 22 Fridays left, and Tatjana just gave us another 22 to be proud of, here are 21 more good things that happened this week.
Johannesburg, South Africa (20 July 2021) – It’s Friday, and that means the weekend is here… and there are only 22 of those left for this year. Yup 22.
Also, this morning an incredible South African swimmer just bagged our first gold at the Olympics. Not only this, but Tatjana also got our first gold for a South African female swimmer in 25 years and can celebrate our first World Record for a South African female swimmer in 22 years!
There is so much good happening now. We can sometimes get overwhelmed with sadness, but here’s a little snapshot of the last week to give you some perspective. And since we have 22 Fridays left, and Tatjana gave us another 22 to be proud of, here are 21 more good things that happened this week (giving us 22 reasons to be happy)!
21. We can drink beer and wine at our restaurants!
20. My local was full of life again, yeah they are still following all the regulations, but there was something different this week… all the people that work there had the biggest smiles. You could see it, even behind those masks. Happy people.
19. South Africans are still working tirelessly to help Rebuild SA! Communities rallying together to do good and help each other.
18. There is a new TikTok trend where South Africans are crying (tears of pride) while listening to our national anthem. And every video I watch makes me cry too.
17. Mastercard is donating 1 million to Gift of the Givers. The initiative, which runs until 15 August 2021, gives South Africans the opportunity to support humanitarian relief efforts when paying for their shopping through safe, cashless options! The Priceless Cause will see Mastercard donate R1 million towards supporting communities in need of assistance.
16. SPAR is giving vouchers to healthcare workers to thank them for all that they are doing for our country at the moment.
15. Bianca Buitendag, the rising surfer from South Africa, won a silver medal at the Tokyo Olympics. She was up against four-time American world champion Carissa Moore.
14. The mystery of the blue couch has been solved… kind of.
13. A story went viral about a man who worked as a car guard to pay for his MBA degree. Ja, he took all those R5 coins and got a flipping degree!
12. I found out this week that dogs can donate blood to other dogs to save their lives, and it’s beautiful. This means that my pups can join me when I go donate!!! Well, they will need to go to the Vet, but what a cool way to do some good.
11. Our men’s hockey team beat Germany at the Tokyo Olympics. The South African team, ranked 14th in the world, defeated Germany, ranked 5th globally, with 4-3 on the scoreboard. This is the kind of victory that could inspire other participants in Tokyo. It was sensational, and the South Africans got the result their tournament has deserved.
10. Kindness, so much kindness. My email inbox overflows with stories are people being kind to each other every single day. In all the tragedy and hardships, people are still kind to each other, which is truly special.
9. The country started the vaccination roll-out on the 18th of February 2021, and to date, 7,297,912 vaccines have been administered, with 2,835,930 South Africans now completely vaccinated. That means 4,84% of our entire population are now jabbed.
8. People shared the most hopeful messages after asking what some of your “post-covid goals are”. The most common… hugs. Just lots of hugs. And I am looking forward to that too.
7. That Hills puppy series on Netflix is one of the best things you will watch right now!
6. A 25-year-old South African has set a new record as the youngest PhD law graduate at NWU to date. Ja, Dr Nicolene Steyn is breaking records and inspiring us all at the same time!
5. An entire community spent 9 hours helping a dog called Sushi get out of a manhole!
4. A 21-year-old has become the YOUNGEST DOCTOR IN AFRICA!! Like what? But also wow. Such an incredibly inspirational story.
3. The Johannesburg Wildlife Vet saved a colony of dassies. Like this is the cute news we need right now!
2. Little Mighty Mack is in remission with her cancer count somehow going down to just 0,1% while she was sleeping in a coma – doctors are calling it an absolute miracle. Every time I think about that little angel, I get all the feels.
All the tears. ❤️ pic.twitter.com/XHwFt80dlT
— Brent Lindeque (@BrentLindeque) July 29, 2021
1. We’re here, and even though we have all faced massive traumas, we are getting through this – somehow – and we have 22 weekends to look forward to before 2022.
Yes friends! We are here, we are surviving and even when it might feel like it’s all bad, there are good things happening all around us.
That’s it. Happy 22. I hope you find some good things today. Love you. Bye.